Thursday, September 11, 2008

Change of Mind

Before our discussion in class on the essays that were inspired by September, 11, I pictured the terrorists as nothing more evil men who acted irrationally. To me, they were no more than crazed fanatics who created more catastrophe than even they were expecting. But after reading the article I have come to realize that the men who orchestrated the attack were clever. They successfully got past airport security and with only a few people, took over an entire plane full of passengers. I also came to the conclusion that the men were also very brave. It takes a lot of courage to get on a plane that you know is going to directly hit a tower. The terrorists were willing to give up their own life for their radical religion. Their actions were shamefully impressive and made one feel sick from even thinking of being impressed by such a horrible deed. This is another thing that I changed my attitude on. I now believe that it is all right to be impressed by something that is terrible. Acknowledging the awe-inspiring event does not mean that you believe that the committer of the deed is right in any way. These are the beliefs that I have acquired during our discussion in class.

No comments: